27 September 2018

Orange and poppy seed friands (mini cakes con naranja y semillas de amapola)






I was absolutely in love the first time I saw these little cakes and the molds!

These delightful little cakes are based in French financiers but are a little lighter and are also quick and easy to make.
The basic Friand is an almond base and what then make these then stand apart is the wealth of variations.

Make a traditional Friand in a miniature tins but you can use a mini muffin tin.
You can serve Friand as part of an afternoon tea or with a cup of tea or coffe.
And of course are perfect for parties, picnics or in a lunch box.


Note: 
I bought my molds in Amazon. com and my favorites are these you  see here, but I have  a silicone mold that is good too!



Adapted from : Food to Love 










Ingredients


1  cup icing sugar 
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 oranges finely grated zest
125 g melted butter
6 egg whites

Orange syrup

1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
1 orange peeled strips of zest


Method

Preheat oven to moderate 180°c (356 °F)
Lightly grease  a hole friand pan or a mini muffin pan.

In a bowl combine icing sugar, almond meal, self raising flour, poppy seeds and zest.
Mix in butter, stirring gently, until just combined.

In a clean bowl lightly egg whites until frothy. Fold through almond mixture evenly between friand mold or muffins mold. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until cooked when tested.

To make syrup

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine all syrup ingredients.
Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer without stirring 4-5 minutes until reduced slightly.




print recipe here
















español

mini cakes con naranja y semillas de amapola
















61 comments:

  1. What lovely little cakes! I haven't made friands in years, but I recall loving them. I'd like your orange and poppy seed gems :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic. Citrus and poppy are best friends! Thanks for sharing, Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they would be a great desert indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW...I have never seen these before...such beautiful little cakes!
    Thank you so much for sharing, dearest Gloria.:))

    Lots of Love & Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are adorable and they look so tasty. The size is perfect. Such a nice treat. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the pictures with us. Wish I had some. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw Jess I love mini cakes, mini tarts I dont know why and these are delicious! Thanks by coming!

      Delete
  6. These look so lovely, and perfect with a nice cup of tea :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost always get hungry reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were my wife I'd probably weigh 400 pounds, haha!

      Delete
    2. Noooo I would care you. An I make healthy food too.
      silly.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm sure you would take very good care of me! :)

      Delete
  8. Gloria, These mini muffins look great! Looks like about 2 bites each. I'll take 4 of them with my coffee... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gloria, sono deliziosi :) Bravissima!
    Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your friand molds and the cakes sound perfectly delicious, Gloria! What a great combination of flavors ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan ! I bought them in Amazon, I love more the metallic shape than silicone. hugs!

      Delete
  11. Sono meravigliose! Si mangiano con gli occhi. Un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delightful, Gloria. The molds are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The friands sound so flavorful and delicious... love the orange syrup...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great combination...orange and poppy seeds, I love baking with almond flour, but yet have to try friands. Thanks for the recipe Gloria...have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cakes sound incredible, but your little molds are adorable! I need to find some so I can use your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi, I bought the molds in Amazon.com

      Delete
  16. Deliziose le tue tortine molto invitanti!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Irresistible! Perfect for my breakfast! :)
    A big hug,
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those cute molds! The cake looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Pam, I lovee these molds too !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bellissimi gli stampini e sicuramente buonissimi i dolcetti al profumo d'arancia!!!
    Baci

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ciao Gloria, che delizia questi dolcetti e che carini i tuoi stampi. Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
  22. Des petits gâteaux très gourmands. J'en mangerai avecgrand plaisir.
    A bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to eat such delicacies with pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  24. Superb Article i like Play Bazaar by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo Satta King

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted