21 April 2017

Apple pie from scratch (pastel de manzanas)









Nothing tastes better than a pie bakes from scratch using fresh ingredients and when you make it you know what are you're eating.
I love the aroma, the combination of apples, cinnamon,sugar are the best.
You'll love the smell that comes waiting from the kitchen when the apple pie is in the oven,

Many people love the combo of lard and butter in the crust but really I think the butter is the best I think tastes better.


Source : Recipe girl




Ingredients
pastry crust


2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoon cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
6 to 7 tablespoon ice cold water



For the pie filling

8 cups peeled apples, sliced thin (7 to 8 medium apples)
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
3 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoon unsalted butter (in small pieces)
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk (for brushing on the pie before baking)


Method

for the crust

Combine flout and salt in the bowl of a food processor  . Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse just until the dough starts to hold together. You should have some pea size pieces of butter visible. Don't over the process. If you don't have a food processor use a pastry blender to mix by hand.
(I prefer to make the crust by hand)
Gather the dough together and divide in half. . Form each half into a flat disc wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

For apple filling

Add the  peeled, cored and slices apples to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar,flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the sugar mixture to the sliced apples, toss to coat the fruit. Set aside.


Preheat oven to 180 °c (375 F)

Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature about 15 minutes. Roll out one disc of dough on a ligthly floured work surface and made a circle . Gently fit the pastry dough into a deep dish pie plate takeing care not strech the dough.

Fill the pastry  with the apple mixture dot with the remaining
2 tablespoon of butter.
 Roll out the remaining disc of dough and fit over the apples.. To seal the edges use a wet finger to moisten the edge  of pie crust (around the rim) .
Fold the trimmed top crust edge over and under the edge of the bottom crust.

Cut two or three small slits in the top crust to vent.
 Lightly brush the top of the pie with the egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle the top with sugar if desired.



print recipe here




Note: Many asked by the bird on my pie !
 Is from Amazon look here











A little pie










En español
Tarta de manzanas








Listo para el horno !



















68 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite fall desserts, Gloria! I love your pie bird :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Lizzy! Wew have a lot of apples this years ! A blessing!!
      hugs!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to have a piece right now with my morning coffee!! Lovely!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh Bonnie and I would be happy to share with you !!

      Delete
  4. The blackbird:) I love those little things and Recipe Girls recipes are good! Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique, I love these biurds for pies and really mad the pie perfect!! xoxox

      Delete
  5. I'm sure it was delicious! P.S. that blackbird is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apples sure can work indeed. Is the pie flipping all the birdie? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. è davvero irresistibile :P ciaoooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria, I love a nice fresh apple pie! Add a little vanilla bean ice cream when its served and its even better... You're right about the butter. Everything is better with real butter! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Yes someones here love with Ice cream and others add whipped cream !
      I love my alone, only the pie !
      Hugs!

      Delete
  9. yummm..... would love a slice of that pie! love that cute pie bird on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anche a me piace il profumo della torta di mele con la cannella mentre cuoce. Una torta deliziosa :)
    Buon fine settimana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apples, cinnamon and nutmeg - they go so well together.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a while since I had apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks SO good! I love apple pie and one made from scratch is even better. I agree with you- the aroma is out of this world and feels so cozy. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow buonissima!!! complimenti :)) buona domenica, ciao Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Gloria, I love homemade apple pie and delicious dessert. Have a beautiful Sunday. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. che voglia di una fetta, sembra deliziosa ! Buona settimana, un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  17. Homemade pie is always the best! Your apple pie looks sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Troppo buona e golosa, complimenti. Un bacione e buona settimana

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you are in fall with apples and we are in spring with rhubarb :) Both make delicious pies! I can tell it's delicious, Gloria. Love the tea towel with embroidered tea cups!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, yes I think you have berries, lol But I have others beauties like quinces and some berries still :)
      Thanks I love this tea towel too !

      Delete
  20. Apple pie is such a wonderful dessert and yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the little pie bird! And your crust looks so flaky! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've got the same little black bird ! ;-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. ha! isn't nice Helene??
    I love my little bird ♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  24. MOlto ghiotto e invitante, brava Gloria!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! It looks delicious. I love your pie bird.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous pie, Gloria! Apple pie is my fave, homemade for sure! I can almost taste it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's really delicious!!! Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  28. une belle tarte aux pommes j'adore
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  29. io adoro le apple pie e la tua è deliziosa sicuramente e fatta a regola d'arte con il tuo simpatico pie bird! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. J'adore les tartes aux pommes. J'en mangerai avec grand plaisir.
    A bientôt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted