17 October 2018

Chai spiced Apple Pie (Pie de manzanas y Te de especias Chai)








Long  time ago I made this Tea Chai Apple Pie but I had misplaced it or put other recipes so today I searched for the recipe and uploaded the photos.
I love everything with apples. Tarts, cakes, fresh apples . I like all!
This is a different recipe with  Chai Tea but absolutely delicious.
I like to use Tea in some recipes!



Adapted from: Eating Well







Chai spiced apple pie
Ingredients

1 1/4 all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
4-6 tablespoon Ice water
1 large egg lightly beaten with water
1 teaspoon demerara sugar

Filling
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 or 7 granny smith applespeeled and in slices
1 tablespoon minced cristal ginger
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

To make the crust

Whisk 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and quickly them into the dry ingredients with yours fingers until the pieces are smaller but still visible. Add 4 tablespoon ice water and toss with a fork until evenly moist. 
Squeeze a clump of dough . If it stays together maybe is ok in water . If not  add a tablespoon of water at a time  tossing with a fork until the dough stay together.
Knead the dough in the bowl  a few times will be still a little crumbly.
Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times until the dough just holds together. Divide in half and shape into  5 inch wide discs  (about 12 cm)  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate by 1 hour. 

To assemble pie

Preheat oven to 375 °F (190° C)
Let the dough stand at room temperature for 5 minutes to warm slightly- Roll out one disk onto a floured surface into 12 inch (30 cm) transfer to a pie pan.
Prick in several spots with a fork. refrigerate


to make the filling
Combine honey and vanilla in a small saucepan and warm over low heat just until the honey thins a bit. Gently toss apples in a large bowl with the honey mixture, ginger cinnamon cardamom, cloves and salt.
Sprinkle with flour and stir to combine . Transfer the filling to the pie pan. Moisten the outer edge with water.

To make the lattice top (see below too)

Roll out the remaining dough between sheets of parchment paper. Cut the dough in 12  strips. To weave the lattice place the strips next each others on top of the pie, leaving about a 1 inch gap between strips.

Fold back the first, third and fifth strips of dough all the way to the edge of the pie. Place a shorter strip of dough across the unfolded strips. Unfold the folded strips over the crosswise strip.

Now fold back the second and fourth strips  of dough all the way to the crosswise strip. Place a strip of dough across the unfolded strips over the crosswise strip. Repeat until the top is covered.
Crimp the edge with a fork.
Brush the lattice with the egg wash and sprinkle with demarara sugar.
Put the pie in the oven and place a rimmed baking sheet on the track below to catch any drips.
Bake to 190°c (375 F) about 40 to 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling.
Cool completely on a wire rack.

print recipe












en español
Tarta de manzanas con Te Chai
















87 comments:

  1. Gloria, A new twist on an old favorite! Looks really good. I like the mixture of spices you used too. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear David, always Apple pie is delicious and yes I love these Tea chai spices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could eat that whole pie by myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but is so much for you ! Only a piece !

      Delete
  4. Yum! Beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds delicious, Gloria! I like that it has the ginger and cardamom in it. You did a great job with the lattice crust, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a different twist indeed. Apples are sure a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, always I love eat apples in many ways!

      Delete
  7. Very nice Gloria, and I liked the lattice guide on the post too.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jan, I find this would help to someones ! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This apple pie looks so delicious. I love all the spices that you have in it. Hope you are having a wonderful week Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn ! I love spices in apple pie too!

      Delete
  10. wow that looks just marvelous! I love the combo of apples and chai!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buongiorno Gloria. Che delizia questa apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning! I am sure it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sono d'accordo con te, tutte buone le torte con le mele.....la tua ricca e speziata versione mi piace molto, come il bellissimo intreccio, grazie per le indicazioni!!!
    Baci

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uno tra i miei dolci preferiti! Che meraviglia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pie...crystal ginger adds so much flavor. By the way, I'm happy because it looks like my comment is going to go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks by stopping by Karen and Im happy you dont have problems in comments!
      I love ginger! One of my favorites!

      Delete
  16. Ha un aspetto davvero delizioso! Carino anche il tutorial ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Che buona questa torta, credo che potrei mangiarla tutta :)
    Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gloria, your apple pier looks so pretty with the lattice...and I love the spices in it...sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, and yes, I wnat my slice with a scoop of ice cream. I hope you are having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliana ! I love with Ice cream !have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  19. This sounds amazing. I love, love, love chai. It sounds like a recipe that I will adore. I haven't made an apple pie before- but this is so appealing. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chai too Jess, I think you would love this apple pie!

      Delete
  20. This is such a warm and welcoming dessert for autumn! Looks so yummy Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa ! How are you doing ? have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  21. ooohhh!! so sweet and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just pinned this. I love the flavors in this pie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love chai too, really I loved this recipe Debra!!

      Delete
  23. What a gorgeous pie! The lattice crust makes it so special and I know it's delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much Lizzy !
    have a nicd weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! Can I have a big slice of that delicious looking pie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love homemade apole pie this time of year and baking with spples in general.Your cake looks so good☺

    ReplyDelete
  27. So delicious!! I love the sound of the chai spices in this apple pie! I have done the same thing, made a recipe, took photos, and then a couple of weeks later couldn't find the recipe so never could post the photos or recipe ;) Have a wonderful weekend, Gloria xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan ! I love chai too! Yes The other day I made delicious carrots soup and still I dont find the recipe !!!Have a nice weekend dear! xo

      Delete
  28. Hi Gloria🧡
    Everything you make is so darn beautiful!
    Hope you are well.....miss you!
    Love
    Linda💖

    ReplyDelete
  29. La mia fortuna è che non sono golosa altrimenti sarebbe un continuo patire visto che non posso e..mangio solo con gli occhi. Buona settimana.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks gorgeous your cake Gloria! I would love it with a good cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my! This just makes the mouth water. What a great recipe for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful pie. I love the chai spice in this. Perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ciao Gloria. Questa chai spiced apple pie ha un aspetto troppo invitante!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I also love everything with apples. Apple pie is the perfect comfort food, I am not able to stop eating it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like cooking with tea; and I like chai tea, so i know that your tart is delicious !
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow...this sounds amazing!!
    The addition of Tea Chai! What a great idea...I can't wait to try this.
    Thank you so much for sharing!😊😊

    Lots of love and hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. thanks to you dear Ygraine xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks delicious, I could sure go for a slice or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lon, would be nice can send you some slices !

      Delete
  39. I am always eager for a cake

    ReplyDelete
  40. Complimenti, un dolce bellissimo, tanto invitante!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mmmm, though of course when you think about it, chai spices would be a perfect compliment to apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  42. tout simplement délicieuse bravo
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  43. Superb Article i like Play Bazaar by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo Satta King

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted