2 December 2017

Dark Chocolate Lebkuchen (german biscuits)




Lebkuchen is a traditional german cookie that is usually baked for Christmas !
Almost all years for Christmas I make a new recipe.
It is most like a soft gingerbread cookie full of warm spices. In this case the glazed is chocolate.
I think not matter how you make them, you will be glad with tehm !
I glazed too with sugar and lemon, yo can see others recipes here in Christmas recipes.



adapted from :  A dash of ginger





Ingredients

85 grams butter (3 ounces)
200 grams runny honey
220 grams plain flour
100 grams ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
100 grams dark brown sugar 
1 egg 
Juice of medium orange

To coat the cookies
200 grams  (7 ounces) dark chocolate



Method

Preheat the oven to 180 °c. Heat the butter and honey in a pan over medium heat until the butter has melted. Allow to cool slightly (about 5 minutes)

In a large bowl, add all the remaining dough ingredients. Add the butter/honey mixture and mix until combined.
If the dough feels a bit too wet to work with refrigerate for 15 minutes (I made )

Roll the dough into balls  (like the picture)  if is needed add some flour, and place on a lined baking tray, leaving enough space for them to spread. 

You'll probably need to use 2 baking trays or do this in batches.

Gently press each ball down to flatten a little. Bake for 10 or 12 minutes ( see the oven) until browned but still soft.
Remove and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.

Coat the cookies into the rack . I spread the chocolate over the cookies  with a spoon and sprinkle some little gold stars.
(but you can let only with the chocolate)
Leave the cholate set.

print recipe



Picture from A dash of ginger







When I coated my cookies and let set






en español

galletas alemanas de chocolate y miel
















78 comments:

  1. Gloria, We've had these delicious German cookies but we've never baked them. We used to be able to buy them commercially from a German deli when we lived in Chicago. Yum! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful looking cookies... love that it is filled with beautiful aromatic spices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty looking cookies,loved the chocolate coating :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful and festive! A must during Advent time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate will sure make many as merry as the santa on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes many people like but I was reminder, I think you dont like chocolate or yes ???

      Delete
  6. All those goodies sure look delicious! Can you mail them to me please :)

    Lots of love to you and your family!! xoxoxo

    Have a beachy week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elsie, hugs for you and yours family!!

      Delete
  7. Bravo..well done! Happy Holidays Gloria..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love Lebkuchen. I spent CHristmas in Germany once and I used to love them so much. Grazie per la ricetta carissima, un abbraccio forte.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devono essere proprio golosi! buona serata!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.....sono molto golosi :)
    Bravissima!
    Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who doesn't love chocolate?
    Hope you are well Gloria...
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cookies and they should so tasty! Love the gold sugar on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful cookies to kick off the holiday season! I bet they taste amazing!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty, festive, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The spirit of Christmas is in yours cookies!
    Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with chocolate :) I love the warm winter spices in them too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. perfetti per Natale ! Un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should make these for my daughter's boyfriend's mom. She is from Germany and I bet she'd love a taste of home for the holidays ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds quite delicious. Have a great Christmas. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos definitely help to make your creations look even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh thanks David. We live in times that doesn' t enough cook and bake we have to do the best with pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deliziosi! Mi sembra di sentire il loro profumo natalizio! Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
  23. even the thought of those spices makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside! what lovely cookies, gloria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Li conosco questi golosi biscottini, bravissima!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made them once and they were super tasty! Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very good cookies for sure, Gloria! My German MIL made them every year and I want to try them soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow meravigliosi!!! complimenti Gloria!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those look delicious! My stepmom's mother makes wonderful German desserts at Christmas. Love your presentation! The jar at the top of your blog is so festive. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, these look delicious, Gloria. And I just love the way you styled that first photo. Your photography is always first rate.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh thanks Amalia. You know I try to do this and love Christmas ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  31. hanno l'aria di essere golosissimi!
    baci
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pensa che li ho assaggiati per la prima vola proprio qualche giorno fa mentre attendevo di imbarcami all'aeroporto di Monaco. Sono deliziosiiiiiii!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. ils sont beaux et bons j'aime beaucoup
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do enjoy dark chocolate.
    Lovely presentation and recipe.

    Not too long until Christmas!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm adding your cookies to my list. I'll start my baking tomorrow. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) Hope you have a merry Christmas !! xoxo

      Delete
  36. Dear Gloria, These would not last a minute!! Looks delicious. oxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  37. Superb Article i like Play Bazaar by the next afternoon I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.This is very good blogspot theme, where you can find out the best theme and latest designs Very good . Know what you mean. but You know about the Game which is viral soo Satta King

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted