21 January 2017

Chestnut and chcolate cake (Torta de chocolate y castaña)








A week or so ago it was my mom's birthday (some of you know that she is living here in my house) and I prepared this cake of chestnut and chcolate cream, it was delicious, you can use chestnut puree from jar or  tin.
I had frozen ground chestnuts.
My mom loves chestnuts like me.

Source : 

Revista Paula- Chile año 1991
número especial de cocina 







Ingredients

Cake
6 separate eggs
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder


Filling 

1 teaspoon vanila extract 
1 cup icing  sugar
2 cups chestnut puree (about 400 grams)
70 grams butter (room temperature)
1 tablespoon rum (optative)

Frosting

150 grams chocolate bitter chopped
125 grams unsalted butter
some cherries or other red fruits to garnish






Method

Preheat the oven to 180 ° c (350 F)
In a bowl beat the yolks until they are thick. Slowly add the sugar, salt and vanilla, beat constantly until the batter is pale and thick.
Gradually add the flourand cornstarch  and mix. In another bowl beat the whites until they are firm and incorporate the sugar . Pour the batter into a round mold of 20/24 cm.
 Lined with butter and buttered paper.
 Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and fluffy. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes in the oven. Remove and allow to cool before unmolding. 



Filling
Beat the chestnut puree with the butter,  rum, sugar and vanilla until smooth.Set aside.

Frosting

Gently heat the chocolate and cream together in a double boiler or a microwave set on low power. Stir until smooth, remove from heat.

To assemble the cake:

 Using a serrated knife cut the cake crosswise in three equal pieces , 
Carefully transfer one place to a serving tray and brush generously with rum syrup and spread the half of chestnut filling.
Repeat with other layer  brush with rum and place the last on top.
Spread the chocolate cream over the top and sides of the cake. Set aside for a while and put in fridge before serve.
Garnish with some cherries or other red fruits like strawberries or raspberries.



Print recipe












Torta de chocolate y castaña

















82 comments:

  1. HI Gloria...
    Happy belated birthday to your Mom 🎈🎈🎈
    The cake looks really nice...I don't think I have ever eaten chestnuts!
    We have several chestnut trees at the cottage! The squirrels love them!
    Enjoy your weekend dear...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda!! oh yes the squirrels love chestnuts because are delicious Linda!!
      Send you hugs and love
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Have not had chestnuts for years and have only had them roasted. Never had them in a recipe. Very cool. And very pretty.
    When we were kids we would drill a whole through them and thread a long lace through and then play conkers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzzy! Yes we aate a lot chestnuts when were childs and my mom always make some desserts or others.
      I remember I had a grand uncle (brother of my grand mom) whoehad a site with a lot of chestnuts trees and all the years he sent to us a lot of chestnuts !!

      Delete
  3. Gloria, This cake is perfect for me! I love moist cakes and that filling is perfect. I'll take 2 slices please! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be pleasure to share with you and Laurie, Yes the rum is something delicious with chestnut cream . Hugs !!

      Delete
  4. So beautiful ! I love cake with chestnut puree ....but i love eat chestnut puree with a spoon too !
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your sweet mom! Her cake looks fabulous!!! Perfect to celebrate a special lady!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday to your mom, Gloria! This chocolate chestnut cake looks splendid and definitely a perfect cake to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your Mom, this cake looks delicious Gloria, may I have a slice ?Un abbraccio !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your mom had a happy birthday. Sure looks like a good cake to celebrate with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THat is pastry shop fine..HB to your mom..!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful cake, thanks for sharing. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, that is looking so good☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to your Mom, this cake looks delicious !!!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maravillosa tarta de cumpleaños!! me encantan las castañas. Feliz cumpleaños a tu madre! Besos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buon compleanno alla tua mamma!!!!! Che torta stupenda, deve essere deliziosa :)
    Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Daniela .my mom was happy with her friends that coming to see her !

      Delete
  15. I rarely cook with chestnuts, but it always looks so good to me. Hope your mom had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Con un po' di ritardo, tanti auguri alla tua mamma cara :) Questa torta è deliziosa, adoro la farina di castagne. Un abbraccio, buona settimana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love chestnut and chocolate! This cake must be amazing. I had something similar but yours looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a delicious combination! i can't think of a time when i've had chestnuts paired with chocolate but it must be fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Auguri alla tua mamma Gloria e complimenti per questa fantastica torta! ti abbraccio cara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the combination of chocolate and chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ciao Gloria, Happy New Year!

    Chestnuts are my favourite! Love this cake, and I often use the same chestnut cream as you :-)
    Besos to all your family!
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love chestnuts too Alessandra!! Grazie cara, Un abbraccio anche a te!

      Delete
  22. A beautiful and delicious cake! Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope your mom had a great birthday! This cake looks beautiful! I don't think I have ever had a dessert with chestnuts in it- but now I am very curious. This sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  24. délicieux gâteau et joyeux anniversaire à ta maman
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  25. Che meraviglia questa torta! E' un tripudio di golosità! Un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Gloria, A delicious cake to enjoy on these cold winter evenings with a good cup of coffee. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful cake for your mother's birthday…you decorated it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous cake, Gloria! I love that beautiful chocolate ganache topping :) I'm sure your mother loved it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cake looks and sounds delicious! Happy Birthday to your mom! Your red and white tableware is gorgeous, very pretty and would fit in my kitchen perfectly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam!! I love this red and white tableware and yes you lo ve these colours,
      The last year I bought on a sale, I love it!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  30. I am sure your mom thought it was beautiful and delicious. It looks wonderful Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful cake. And the cherries are a lovely decoration. What a nice daughter you are--a belated happy birthday to your mother from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger ! I told my mom yours happy birthday!!

      Delete
  32. Moi aussi, j'adore les châtaignes ! This cake looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Helene, Je aime beaucoup les chataignes !!

      Delete
  33. I used to make a chestnut cake for the holidays...have long since lost the recipe. This looks fabulous, Gloria! Saving it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday Wishes to your Mum
    The cake looks absolutely delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted