3 November 2007

Filling leaves (hojas de parra rellenas) (recipe from Libanon)














This is a recipe from my Mother's in law that died two years ago .
Her parents coming from Lebanon and later she married with my father's in law and his parents coming from Palestine, so at their house (she likes cook so) they eat many recipes from Arabian foods and chilean foods too(she makes so well humitas or tamales and corn's pie).

They eat many things with this filling (ground beef and rice) ,
zuccinis, artichokes,grape 's leaves ,eggsplants, etc.

For this recipe you may use fresh grape leaves or freeze, my mother's
in law frezeed the grape's leave in summer and used at the winter.
And I know in some countries have leafs in tins. All are well for this recipe, if you freeze the leaves save without boiled, in a plastic bag.







Ingredients

3/4 Kg. grape's leaves (fresh or freeze)
1/2 kg. ground beef
1 cup and half of rice /type short grain
80 grs. butter 
1 teaspoon of curry podwer
salt and peppe

Method

Wash the rice in hot water, three times and let dry in a colander. Then mix the ground beef with the rice, butter, add the curry podwer, salt and pepper. Mix well and reserve to filling leaves.

Wash the grape's leaves and and boiled by 3 or 4 minutes, this is for smooth the leafs to work with them. Place in a bottom's pot a cape of grape's leaves without filling.
Place in each leaf a teaspoon of the mix of ground beef and rice, double the leave to make a roll double the sides, how a little cigar.(How you see at the picture above)

Pressure each roll with hand slowly and place in the bottom'spot, add salt and boil water and cover them. Place a dish over them and put the heat to medium, when they begin to boiled put the heat slow and cook by 45 minutes. You may take out one and see the rice if are cook. Later you may heat them at microwaves in a pirex.

Receta en español

Hojas de Parra Rellenas (receta del Lìbano)


Esta es una receta de mi suegra, ella muriò hace dos años. Tenìa muy buenas recetas arabes.
Sus padres vinieron a Chile del Lìbano y màs tarde ella se casò con mi suegro, cuyos padres venìan de Palestina, asì que en su casa se comìa mucha comida arabe y tambièn chilena (de hecho hacìa muy rico el pastel de choclos y las humitas o tamales)

La gente de Palestina y del Lìbano comen con este relleno que doy aquì para las hojas de parra, zapallitos o calabacines, alcachofas, berenjenas, hojas de repollo etc.

Se pueden usar hojas de parra frescas ( segùn la estaciòn) o congeladas, de hecho mi suegra congelaba las hojitas en el verano y las usaba en el invierno.

En algunos paìses tambien hay hojas de parra en tarro, cualquier tipo sirve para esta receta.

Ingredientes

3/4 kg. de hojas de parra frescas o congeladas
1 taza y media de arroz de grano corto
1/2 kilo de carne molida de vacuno
80 g mantequilla
1 cucharadita de curry en polvo
sal y pimienta a gusto

Preparaciòn

Lavar bien el arroz con agua caliente (tres veces) y dejarlo estilar un poco en un colador.
Despues mezclar la carne con el arroz, agregar la mantequilla, y aliñar con el curry, sal y pimienta. Reservar para el relleno de las hojas.

Lavar las hojas bien y blanquearlas un poco con agua hirviendo. Cubrir el fondo de una olla con una capa de hojas sin rellenar. Poner en cada hoja una cucharadita de esta mezcla, enrollar y doblar los costados hacia dentro, de manera que la hoja quede como un pequeño cigarro. Apretarlas suave con la mano y ponerlas en forma ordenada en la olla. Agregar sal y agua hirviendo suficiente para cubrir las hojas.

Colocarles un plato pequeño encima. Cuando se produzca el hervor, bajar el fuego y cocinar durante 45 minutos aprox. Para saber si estan listas, se puede sacar una y ver si està cocido el arroz.
Màs tarde se pueden calentar perfectamente en microondas en un pirex.

19 comments:

  1. Tienen una pinta estupenda. Había oído hablar sobre las hojas de parra rellenas pero no había encontrado nunca la receta. Ahora ya la tengo. En cuanto tenga ocasión, las hago.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marta, de verdad que no son difìciles, yo cuando veìa hacerlas a mi suegra decìa, no creo que las pueda hacer, ahora (igual que ella) cuando veo hojitas en alguna parte digo, voy a hacer unas hojita.ji, that's the life xxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious Gloria! She must have been a wonderful woman, and it's so nice to learn about her food. I love fig leaves, so I'll definitely be trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a rich mix of culture in your heritage Gloria!! Wonderful... Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figs Olive, yes she likes soo cook and do so well I have to say,she make all delicious.When I married with my hubby I learned to eat this type of food, so differents of mine, but with the time I like a lot of type of foods of differents countries. Is a so good recipe, I made in class and all love them Gloria


    Vida, thanks yes sometimes we don`t think in this things but you have reason, I learned a lot with my mom, mom in law, teachers etc.and ever I'm investigate, I like so. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I've never cooked with fig leaves before. Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have cooked a mixture similar to yours in cabbage leaves, but your leaves are so pretty and look so fresh! Great photos Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy is so delicious and light (by the leaves), I m glad you like.Gloria

    Debs Really I forget to say that this recipe you may make in cabbage leaves but really I think is so bice in these leaves, are more smooth than cabbage. My Mom in law make with everything but to the cabbage you have to cook more time.xx Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gloria,
    Thank you so much for all your Comment in our blog.
    we love stuffed grape leaves ,and we use differents filling ,we call it (mhshi warq anab)and we think it call the same in most arab countries,in iraq they call it (Dulma),and in syria i think they call it (yabre),and in Lebanon they call it(yalnji).
    Every Arab country make it with different filling & spices.

    zainab & meedo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zainab & Meedo thanks for that you tell me, I see here too some people make differents fillings for these foods and all are nice and the spices, so interest because I love how my mother in law spices the fillings and was differents than other sites or restaurants, for some weddings I was remember she made a lot of filling and for the lunch to the next day after wedding too. xxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for dropping by and entering my giveaway. I love grape leaves. Although I have never made them. My mom and dad's neighbors are Greek and they used to make them all of the time and send us some. YUM YUM YUM!!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Julie, I love your blog and your music, and I love christmas too! Really these leaves are so yummy! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Que bueno esta. Yo tenia una amiga en la facultad que su mama ,que era siria, las hacia. Eran fantasticas.!!!Supongo que ls de tu mama deben ser deliciosas
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sì Sylvia, es mi suegra que me enseñò a hacerlas, ella siempre hacìa, son ricas. cariños Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dolmades as they are called in Greece are also one of my favourites. They are like candy for me. We are able to get fresh grape leaves here in the valley in the Spring. We are a big wine growing region here in the Okanagan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice Valli!!! I knew that in Grecia used this leaves too. Here in the Spring we have grape leaves too, know I have a little plants of grapes and I seen everyday to how are them !!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tengo una amiga que las prepara con arroz y carne de pavo molida. Otros amigos me dicen que toma tiempo prepararlas y muy poco comerselas. Se les conoce como "dolmas".

    ReplyDelete
  18. La verdad Roberto, no son tan demorosas, yo creo que como todo hay que tener paciencia y tener todo de antemano. Pero lo que es cierto que se las comen super ràpido, eso si. Pero pasa con muchas comidas. Gracia por venir. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Su método de explicar todo el asunto en este post es de hecho agradable, todo el mundo sea capaz de esfuerzo ser consciente de ello, muchas gracias.

    El mejor restaurante en Tel Aviv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks by stopping by you are welcome here.

NO SPAMS and ADS and Im not interested
And I dont like ads and I dont want them on my recipes. Thanks
All them will be deleted